Discussion among Peers (was: Lighten Touch)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:03:53 -0400

Hello Bill, I have to largely agree with Brian here. While your post has
much merit, I do not think it is my, your, or any of our responsibilities as
to what is done with the information thrown out on this list. I believe it
is up to each reader to understand and have a grasp of their own level of
competence on some of these subjects.

I read many posts regarding upper-level tuning concepts......and I gotta
admit, I don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. That is one of
the reasons you don't see me hanging out at the local concert halls telling
concert pianists that I am the best thing since the cast iron plate
regarding concert prep. I read a lot of stuff from Del F., Ron N., Roger J.
and others about stringing scales, ribbing patterns, and all sorts of stuff
that I barely have a grip on with my little pinky. But I think I'm getting
to the point where I might know who I would subcontract some of this stuff
out to.........and maybe someday I will experiment with these things.

I also have a copy of Gray's Anatomy. I am smart enough to know to not pick
up a scalpel. I'm sure there are those that are not that smart. This is not
the fault of the book's author.

Some folks will just jump right in with errant procedures - on someone
else's piano. But I think they will do that with or without this list. If
they don't get it from here, they will get something they don't understand
from a book, or from another tech who may be less well-informed than they
know. And they will botch up a job that way. Where there is a will there is
a way.

I suppose the best response to the subject post would have been something
along the lines of: "There are many causes or combination of causes that can
make an action feel heavy. One might start with considering the state of
friction in the piano, and if needed, consider the action geometry,
leverage, and component weights. Best though is to take an integrated
approach to such a problem by getting a good education in this area before
attempting a job on a client's piano action". And so on and so forth. But we
don't know his/her background, so individual suggestions are thrown out. One
is a fool if they implement one of these suggestions without a good working
knowledge of the subject.

The bottom line being don't take anyone's post to this list as gospel. Even
advice from a much respected tech could be poor because the original
question might be misunderstood - I have seen this happen many times on this
list - we tend to post casually, but we can't see each other's faces, and
thus sometimes our communications are not the best.

Unless you know someone (and you trust them) that has made a recommendation
on this list, I would always want to get a second opinion, or ask around at
your next local chapter meeting, or look it up in a book, or try it out
first on your own piano, etc., etc. Anyone that takes these posts at face
value is courting disaster. They are fools and they will be found out soon
enough.

Maybe we need to attach a disclaimer to our posts. I started to formulate
some thoughts in my head, but then I realized that would be a job for Ron N.
Ron?

Trying Desperately To Keep My Thinking Cap On
Terry Farrell

Brian Trout wrote:

Yes, Bill, that was a good post.

But one thing bothered me when I read it.  It may
be that I've misunderstood and I'm sorry if I
have.  Feel free to set me straight.

How do we have good discussion on matters of any
depth or complexity without saying things that
someone could use wrong?

Would it be better if this list was not so easy
to join?  Would we need to be RPTs to join the
list?

I'm not sure how you can make it better by
limiting the discussion to things that can't be
used improperly by someone.  And if it's best if
we keep the discussion to "how to tune a unison",
I'd have to say "Good-bye!"

It's those posts with some depth and insight into
areas some find "untouchable" that keep me coming
back and reading, which seem to be the ones most
in question as to whether they should be here.

What's the answer?  Restrict the discussion?
Restrict the topics discussed?  Restrict access?

Just wondering...

Brian

--- jolly roger <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> At 08:28 AM 8/16/01 -0400, you wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>            Excellent post,  point well taken
> about a little knowlege from
> the list.   And you advice to Ed about joining
> a chapter is the best
> freebee he is likly to get.
>
> Regards Roger

=====