Tuning a Player Piano

Delton, Jr. Eason dont_b_flat88@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:13:33 -0700 (PDT)

I looked at the piano last night and talked with the
owner, getting a little bit of history and a name and
serial number.

It is an Autotune Piano Player, Autotone Co. NY.  The
serial number is 84170.  Does anyone has refernce book
that would tell me the age of this piano?

Also, on top of what I believe is the motor case is a
small white plate with dates beginning in, I think it
was 1809 (or 1890)(I know it was in the 1800s), then
continuing up until I think the 1920s.  There were
dates sometimes three times in a year and sometimes
twice in a year, and some dates were about three years
apart; i.e., there was one in date that was in 1897
then the next annotated date was in 1900).  Does
anyone know what these dates mean?

This piano is basically a family heirloom.  In its
life, it has sat in the front hallway of a home, in a
garage, and one other location within the confines of
home.

The current relative (lady) who owns it says that
about nine years ago, the piano was refinished and the
player was redone.  She says there are some problems
with the player part, but they are holding off on that
for now.