Tuning a Player Piano

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:06:28 -0400

Good Morning.

As I was watching and reading this thread with interest (there's no one in
this immediate area who does this type of work anymore..the person who did
recently retired), I tuned a vertical Aeolian Player on Thursday Afternoon
that was -35cents on average.

HOW I tuned it may be of some interest to those experienced and not
experienced in this type of work. The procedure I used involved the
following:

-SAT
-1 Rubber mute.
-a pitch raise technique that I have used for 3 years now..thank you Ken
Burton wherever you are.
-a minimal dis-assembling of player parts that were in the way, but I did
not take off the top stack of the player.
-The piano went from horrible-sounding to sounding pretty darn good in 1.5
hrs. .. it may or may not pass the RPT test, but the customer was very
pleased with the results.

Those fellow rookies and more seasoned techs interested in how I did this,
and will do in the future, are invited to ask me privately...no, it's no big
secret for the list, but from my observations, there's only a handful of
people here interested in the subject, so this is my way of keeping the
traffic down and still sharing with those interested.

disclaimer: I am in no way an expert in this field nor do I aspire to be a
pneumatic player guru..this is actually the 3rd time I have tuned a very
flat and out of tune player piano this way..and it is the 3rd time that I
feel I was successful using this technique.

respond privately if interested to:
tito@philbondi.com

aka roo(k) - 2/3 of the way to becoming Registered.