just like a ringing them bells

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:15:28 -0000

Hi Rob,

Strange coincidence.... I have a Wing and Son in my workshop at present. It
has 4 pedals, the 2 extra being a Tremolo which shifts a rail of small
swinging beads into close contact with the treble strings which once struck
make contact with these beads which swing wildly making multiple contacts
with the string (similar in effect to a bobbling hammer), and the other
pedal is the usual "rinky-tink", mandolin effect I think it's called.
Big style piano, ornate case but suffering the usual age related disorders.
Unfortunately the client doesn't really want to spend what it would take to
make it into something.

Thought I'd chime in with this,

Regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth
New Zealand

Rob Goodale wrote....

I am not familiar with the brand, it sounds pretty obscure.
It does sound a lot like a "Wing & Son" however.  Wing used
to have a lot of "noise maker" features and the pianos
themselves were of excellent quality.  Most Wings had
several extra pedals to activate/engage the other
mechanisms.  I've come across only two of them, one that was
abused and then destroyed by an ignorant so-called "piana
rebildur" and the other one was here in town at another shop
owned by a dealer that recently cleaned out the place for
the first time in twenty years.  I asked them to save it and
I'd come back later and take it off their hands for them.  I
never heard or saw it again and that was a year ago.  I
suspect they dumped it but they may have realized they had
something sort of special and hid it again behind the heaps
of junk they didn't throw out.

Anyway, keep us updated, this sounds interesting.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV