plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:09:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/17/01 7:38:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
nhunt@optonline.net writes:

> Hi Wim
>
> This is indeed the case.
>
> You can prove it to yourself easily enough.  The next time you plan to
> restring
> a piano give it a fast unison tune and measure each note above the bass
> break
> using your favorite flavor of ETD.  Remove the bass strings only then again
> measure each note and plot the differences.  Look at the graph and draw
> your own
> conclusions.

I don't think this would show that the plate moved. I have done this, in a
sense. I have removed the bass strings, and then listened to the treble. Yes,
they were low closer to the break. But I would think that is because there is
less tension on the board towards the back, where the bass bridge is. Not
because the plate rose.

> Have you moved yet?
>
>         Newton

Yes. I drove down on Friday, and spent the better part of the evening
unpacking and hooking things up. I will tune a bunch of pianos over the
weekend so that on Monday I can take a couple of hous to take care of a lot
of busy work before I "go to work."

In September I will go back to St. Louis to get Jan and the house.

Wim