plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

sid blum sid@sover.net
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:37:53 -0400

.....Even if the pitch change with all the other string
> lengths factored in was ten times the figure of just the speaking length,
it
> still wouldn't be enough by far to account for the pitch drops we
regularly see
> during pitch raises. The plate foreshortens along the string plane as
tension
> is added, and a little plate flex makes a lot more difference in string
pitch
> than a little soundboard deflection. Really, it does.
>

> Ron N

This makes me wonder about the nature of castings; how long does the plate
continue to flex after a major pitch raise ?

Sid Blum
sid@sover.net