plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:24:25 -0600

Hi Sid,

I don't think the plate moves *much* but I do think the wood may do so. If
you check A4 with a vtd just after a pitch correction--and then check again
in 5 minutes, and then again in 1/2 you will get different pitch level. The
pitch will not necessarily be lower.

At 05:37 PM 08/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>.....Even if the pitch change with all the other string
>> lengths factored in was ten times the figure of just the speaking length,
>it
>> still wouldn't be enough by far to account for the pitch drops we
>regularly see
>> during pitch raises. The plate foreshortens along the string plane as
>tension
>> is added, and a little plate flex makes a lot more difference in string
>pitch
>> than a little soundboard deflection. Really, it does.
>>

>> Ron N
>
>This makes me wonder about the nature of castings; how long does the plate
>continue to flex after a major pitch raise ?
>
>Sid Blum
>sid@sover.net

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com