Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 13:30:49 -0500

>  However, if we are trying to make bushings into vertical extensions
>of the pin block, which in my opinion is the objective, then they fail
>miserably.

I agree, but I haven't read anyone suggesting that bushings do that. As
added support though, they do improve tuning feel.

>Driving the pin further tightens it at the bottom, which is where loose pins
>least need tightening.  It might prevent them from slipping for awhile
>longer, but there will still be too much looseness and play at the top.  To
>some extent it also changes the string geometry and bearing friction, and
>makes them inconsistent with their neighbors.
>
>Paul

Hi Paul,
I always assumed that if pins are too loose to hold, the piano needs major
work,  and if a few pins could be driven in slightly to let me finish the
tuning and deliver the news, it would buy the customer some time without me
spending unnecessary amounts of their money until I could spend much larger
amounts of their money rebuilding it. I never much cared how it affected
the feel, since I don't intend to tune it forever this way anyway. Since I
never considered it a "fix", I never saw any problem with it.

We all split different hairs.

Ron N