Hot and Heavy [ON Topic]

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:25:36 -0400

Would it help at all if the outermost layer was a highly reflective =
material, such as mylar?  I'm thinking primarily of those times when the =
piano is left sitting out in full sunlight .......

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 9:31 PM
  Subject: Re: Hot and Heavy [ON Topic]

  Hi Z!,
           Both of our concert grands have to the floor fitted tarps, =
that are heavily quilted,  it helps quite a bit.  But there is no real =
way to over come those concerts in the park, stability type things.   =
Minimizing is the best you can hope for.  Besides the heavy tarp, laying =
two moving blankets on the strings inside the piano seems to help.  But =
I may be fooling myself on that one.
  Insulate and protect, in the best way possible.
  Regards Roger.

  At 07:07 PM 8/19/01 -0400, you wrote:=20

    Hi Everyone!

    How hot can a piano get before you run into more serious problems =
than changes in the tuning?  What are some of the problems people have =
observed after a piano got hot?

    Over the summer I tuned at a couple of festivals on what were =
otherwise beautiful summer days here in Detroit but must have been =
nightmares for the pianos.  As usual, I was asked to tune first thing in =
the morning despite the stage manager's full knowledge that the tuning =
will be seriously "altered" by the time the featured artist was going to =
play.  Over the course of all the set changes, the pianos were often =
relegated to some out-of-the-way corner of the stage where they sat out =
in full sunlight, often wearing black naugahyde covers.  Those pianos =
were probably hot enough to roast a fat steak by the time I came back to =
them to "touch them up" just before the performances.  (The stage =
managers have been told repeatedly not to leave the pianos out in full =
sunlight for any length of time ....)

    Since then, those pianos have been doing one-night stands all over =
metro Detroit and I haven't crossed paths with any of them yet since =
their sunbathing sessions.  Nor have I heard any comments from the other =
technicians who have serviced them since then.  Meanwhile I came to yet =
another concert rental recently which had numerous loose lead weights in =
the damper system, and I'm wondering if that one also got a good =
"sunburn" at some point over the summer.

    Thanks in advance --

    Z! Reinhardt  RPT
    Ann Arbor  MI
    diskladame@provide.net