"belly bolt" alignment creates action problem

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:12:22 +1000

David and list,

>    New Pramburger 7", very nice....but.
>
>    The bolt found behind the action between the
>plate and belly is not centered.(what is the proper
>name?) It is left allot. Enough that the top bass
>hammer with una-corda pedal rubs the back nut on the
>bolt.. . . . .  It is a very nice sounding instrument.
>
>    SO....With full tension on a 7" dare I remove this
>and move it. If the plate flexes a little I doubt
>it will move back when just re-tightening the bolt,
>or will it? Risky or not?

Releasing the tension for repair would be inadvisable. You could just
grind away the protruding side of the bolt to gain hammer clearance.

Obviously Young Chang, like the other Korean manufacturer, haven't
learnt to build them to the design specification yet. We had to
reposition the bolt on our No. 003, 16mm towards the treble end to
center it on the horn. Fortunately, since the case arrived without a
sound board the fix was not as difficult as it might have been, but a
pain in the butt nonetheless.

>Young Chang has made good progress with these
>     Pramburgers.

Sure, if you call cloning a Steinway progress. Might we think of it
as just more of the same?

Ron O
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au