plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:57:34 -0600

Hi Ron (and others far more knowledgeable than me),

Is it possible that the main wooden beams react to humidity causing the
plate  to deform and resulting in tuning changes?

At 06:54 PM 08/20/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>I have always considered sound board rise (or fall) to be the biggest
>>factor in seasonal pitch changes
>
>Everyone always has, as far as I know. But then we've thought the pitch
>drop during a pitch raise was from soundboard deflection too until fairly
>recently.
>

>>, and bridge rise relative to the
>>sound board must surely compound the effect.
>
>Which is one of the factors that hasn't  usually been considered. I think
>the increase in string path length across the bridge is more a factor than
>has been considered too. I'll have to try to work out how to calculate the
>change.
>
>Ron N

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com