Smoke, but not much damage

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:03:09 -0700

List,

OK, I'm going to check the archives, but here's the situation.  It's a
1993
Yamaha G3, ebony polyester finish.  Lots of smoke, but apparently little
heat.
Some dampness, but mainly humidity and some dripping as it collected
here and
there.  The finish only needs buffing.  It's hard to detect anything
wrong with
it if you overlook the way it looks.

I'm going to restring it just for the sake of appearance and to be able
to clean
it better.  I'm going to use lots of fine sandpaper to clean the
unfinished wood
(especially in the action).  Also going to lightly file the hammers
(almost no
wear, and they didn't swell significantly from the humidity (or at least
shrank
again).  Other than that, I welcome any advice you can give me on
products
and/or methods to clean smoke from the soundboard, metal parts (e.g.
rails),
plate, keys, etc.  I will probably replace the keytops but might try
some
cleaning methods first.

Thanks, everyone.

Paul Larudee