plate reaction was Re: Pitch Raising to A440.......Or Not?

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:01:33 -0400

Hi Jim,

You inquired about soundboard movement in regards to a pitch change.  It does
not happen.  What does happen, as Ron and I have said, is the plate compresses
and decompresses along the webbing where the hitch pins are and along the plate
braces.  Yes, the board may move but if you measure each note from the bass
break up and remove the bass strings then re-measure each note again and plot
the difference between the two measurements you will notice that the pitch
change DOES NOT CROSS THE BRACE.  That is proof positive that the board is NOT
flexing but that the plate is.  You have to see the graph then you will
understand.  A picture is worth many hundreds or words and seeing is believing.

?

Try it, you will love the results.

		Newton