Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:44:14 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@optonline.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 21, 2001 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: Open face vs. closed face pin blocks

> > I just thought I would clear up the issue of tensile strength. 25,000
psi
> > means that if you took a piece of the raw material that was 1" in
> > diameter, it would take 25,000 lbs to pull it apart. It does not take
> > into account any specific design strengths in the piano itself.
>
> I understood this to be 1" in cross sectional area.  Am I wrong?

No. You are correct.

In this example the tensile strength is 25,000 pounds per square inch. The
area of a rod that is 1" in diameter is 1 circular inch and 1 circular inch
has an area of 0.7854 square inches. A square bar measuring 1" per side has
an area of 1.0 square inches or 1.2732 circular inches.

Del