Weinbach upright

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 07:51:32 -0400

Friends,

Yesterday I went to fix the sustain pedal action and tune a 49" Weinbach
vertical piano model 124 serial 259872, made about 1995.

I had never heard of Weinbach.  In any case, the support for the sustain
dowel was different from the two methods I am familiar with.  The bottom
of the dowel had a pin in it, pretty standard.  But to hold the top in
position under the liftrod tongue, a small piece made of spring steel
and a little less than 4" long was attached to the keybed at one end and
the dowel at the other.  This piece had broken at a screw hole in the
keybed end.

The fix is easy.  Get a new spring and screw it in.  It's finding the
spring that may be time consuming and therefore expensive.  Three
questions:  What is the official name of this part?  What is the most
efficient way to obtain this part?  Thirdly, the client says this is the
third time this part has broken, and the piano is only six years old.
Has anyone else run into this problem, and has any kind of alteration
been successfully attempted?

Thanks,
Clyde Hollinger