S&S tuning pins...let me clarify

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:48:26 -0700

I should have also added that because of excessively tight tuning pins, the
hard pin bushings would help reduce flagpoling, which can, of course, be
reduced by the use of an impact tuning hammer, but there's no question that
an extremely tight pin,that has NO bushing, is defintely harder to
tune...example: the S&S verticals. Yes, the pressure bar makes them
notorious for rendering problems, but the very tight, bushless pins cause
major "flagpoling." I think many of you assumed, from that description, that
I was referring to the pin being moved UP/Down as a result of bad hammer
technique.
***Maybe I should specify; the pin will "twist" a very large amount, causing
a BIG pitch change BEFORE the pin actually moves in the block. That's what i
meant to say.***
Btw, my hammer technique is quite effective; In most situations, and I
emphasise MOST, my tuning time is about 50 minutes or less.

Terry Peterson
Precision Piano Service
Torrance, CA