S&S tuning pins...

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:58:08 -0700

As Del Fandrich so eloquently set forth just within the last week, bushings
eventually become ineffectual anyway, and even when still tight, they only
reduce flex (flagpoling), not torsion.  A better and more permanent way to
reduce both is to either have an open face pin block design or use thicker
(larger) tuning pins.  Pins that are effective in reducing flex and torsion,
however, would make the string coils larger than anyone would want.

That is why I think my pins are an even better solution.  In fact, a set of my
3.5/0  pins with 1/0 heads are now being used to replace 2/0 pins in a Steinway
B.  The result will be a stiffer pin with smaller coils than the original.  I
predict that it will be even better than the original when it was new.

Paulo Larudee