Yamaha Butt Spring Cord

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:25:50 -0700

Subject: Yamaha Butt Spring Cord

List,
    I'd like to suggest a repair for the broken cords on yamaha verticals
without replacing the flanges.
    For this repair to be viable the flanges are in good condition with
solid pinning  and well traveled . If the flanges are in poor condition,
than in all likelihood the hammers and other action parts will also need
replacing and the cords will be least of your problems.
    With replacement yamaha cord on hand I procede as follows    1- Tighten
all flange screws, space hammers and reshape as necessary, blow or vac
action clean.
                 2-Remove hammer rest rail ( the hangers are screwed to the
rail )
                 3-Loosen but plate screws and remove butt-hammer assemblies
and set aside in order.(these are  numbered so  check that they are
sequential as you reinstall )
                 4- Now your flanges and cords are wide open. Remove the old
cords. I experimented with various tools to clean out the slots and found
the point of a small spade drill bit to work best .Vac any debris from the
slots .
                5- Precut the cords. I wrapped the cord around an old  #88
keytop  88 times and cut them all at once with

 a straight edge and razor blade.This gave me the correct
length
               6- glue one side of all the cords to the flange with a very
small amount of titebond. When you get to the end go back  and repeat with
the other side .
              7- Reinstall butts and rest rail .( This will give the glue
enough dry time.)  Hook up springs, Space hammers if necessary.

           This takes me about two hours.The traveling is undisturbed , the
flange screws will stay tighter without the initial flange compression
against the screw and although a minor point ,the cost of parts is lower.
With flange replacement , I had to ream centers, and travel (not easy with
the dampers in the way) @ about  four to five  hours total.  Of course any
action with these broken cords will usually need regulation so  proceed with
the usual steps.
     Tom Driscoll