New Hammer Butt Selection

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:10:03 -0400

Thanks to all for input on replacing hammer butt leather. I'm sure I will
refer back to it sometime. Fortunately, the owner has decided to go with new
butts and hammers. (YEAH!!!) It appears the butts on this 1895 52" Fisher
upright are dimensionally very similar to the Pratt-Read butts available
from most supply houses. I'm trying to get the most bang for the client's
buck. Wally Brooks has a Abel butt that is made to replace the Pratt-Read.
Renner also has one for the same purpose. However, the Abel has the
traditional butt spring set up, with the springs mounted on a separate rail.
The Renner butt has the spring mounted on the butt itself, much like many
Asian pianos. So, it would seem to me, that the Renner might be a good pick
for the same price because I would be renewing the entire hammer butt spring
system without any extra labor. Has anyone used these Renner butts? Waddaya
think of my logic (or illogic)? Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell