Knots to you

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:21:10 -0500

At 21:26 08/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Would it not be much more practical to just replace the string with new wire?
>If a string broke once, it for sure will break again in the future.
>  <snip>
>Roy Czekay, Milwaukee

As the song goes, "It ain't necessarily so".  Just one example - I've got a
243 console in a practice room which has a bass string I tied in 1982 (it
was brand new at the time).

The string broke right at the pin, so there was lots to work with above the
sounding length, and I sure didn't have problems matching the string (one
of bi-chord).

I suspect some rough treatment in the factory might have nicked the
string.  If it had been an old, obviously corroded string I would have
replaced both as others have recommended.

As with many other repairs in this business, it was a judgement call. And
definitely YMMV!

Conrad Hoffsommer -  Decorah, IA  (563)-382-8525

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...