hammer acceleration

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:47:38 -0400

Hi David,

Take a shank, hold the flange firmly in one hand and use a finger from the other
hand to push the shank up (allowing to pivot at the pin).  Move your finger
further out then further in around the knuckle.  This experiment will answer
your question.

DIdn't you mention that this slowness happened on only a few notes?

Regards,

		Newton

It is a Steinway from the 1980's and its a bit of a mess.  Sharps and naturals
have different
key ratios (oops).  The Renner wippens I put on have a higher profile which
forces the
capstans a bit lower, but it actually put the cap/heel contact more on the
convergence line
than it was.  I wonder if a longer knuckle radius would result in a faster rate
of acceleration
through the swing arc.   And if it does, would that contribute to a feeling of
less control
because once the static friction is broken the key would accelerate more easily,
i.e., it might
feel like the key is flying away from you too fast?  Just a thought.