Appearance

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:01:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/24/01 6:28:55 PM Central Daylight Time,
eliotlee1@home.com writes:

> ,
>
>     I was just told by a senior tuner here (Jim Coleman Sr.) that if I
> change my appearance by wearing a shirt and tie, instead of wearing casual
> dress, jeans and polo shirt, that I could increase my annual salary by
> $30,000.  He said there was a Yamaha study 20 years ago about this.
>
>     Have any of you noticed an increase in business by upgrading your
> grooming?

With all due respect to Dr. Jim, the days of tuning in a suit and tie went
out about 3 or 4 years ago. I used to wear a sports jacket and shirt and tie.
I lost the jacket about 10 years ago. About 3 or 4 years ago, corporate
America took off the tie, and put on the polo shirts. That is when I started
to dress casual too.

I think the days of having to dress up for work are gone. People are even
dressing causally to go to church. (older people are more likely to still
dress up, but more and more middle age and younger are going casual).

I don't think you will make more money wearing a tie. As long as you are
polite, dress neatly, are well groomed, and are clean, customers are going to
be more concerned about the quality of your work, than what tie you wear.

Wim