Old tuning forks, pitch standards

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 20:54:12 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/01 7:32:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
mjbkspal@execpc.com (Mike and Jane Spalding) writes:

> I just got back from the library - found the
> Britannica articles very interesting.  As usual, I drifted off topic a
> little and read their piece on "temperament".  They jump directly from
> Meantone to Equal, with only a vague mention of Well ("JS Bach's Well
> Tempered Klavier was probably a reference to a modified meantone..")

This is what has bugged me for so many years.  Even the classic William
Braide White treatise does not admit the possibility of anything but one
extreme or the other.  It has created the mindset that there is *only* "one
or the other", that is, there is either ET or something else, that *MEAN*
tuning that is unacceptable and unusable.  I'm here to tell you that it just
is not so.  ET is rarely achieved except by the most advanced methods, either
aural or electronic.   Therefore, most piano tunings end up being something
else, whether we really want to admit it or not.

And as they say, the first step toward solving a problem is admitting there
is one.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin