Poor Technician Workmanship Question (kinda long)

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:33:40 -0000

Hello all,

This is interesting reading, with several views as one would expect.

In New Zealand we don't have and haven't required the various
sub-committee's that the PTG have need of.
Our membership numbers don't necessitate it.

However we have had to deal with a couple of complaints. Both involved techs
selling pianos that were poorly prepared.
In both cases the complaint came in via another tech, but we won't action
anything until we get a written complaint from the customer concerned,
thereby hopefully removing the possibility of competing tech's having a go
at each other.
Ideally the first response when hearing of substandard work is to refer the
customer back to the original tech. They are the ones who can either fix the
situation or refund money. Failing that it can go on via the Guild or legal
channels.

After having been through a messy situation with the last complaint, the
Guild here in NZ have created a procedure involving both  parties to
complete a complaint form which our committee then looks into. We ask two
independent tech's to view and report on the piano. If the evidence stacks
up then the Guild can request or suggest the member concerned corrects the
situation. If this doesn't occur for any reason then the Guild has the right
to terminate membership based on violating the code of ethics. Beyond that
our organisation has no powers.

In addition to the above, if the customer wishes to persue legal channels
for re-inmbursement or compensation that is their business. The Guild can
offer a professional independent report if required in any legal hearing.

We hope not to have to use our recently created dispute procedure but, if
required it is there to provide a quick, efficient and fair resolution
process for all parties involved.

back to the tech concerned. This will give them the message that their work
has been seen by another tech and found lacking. Hopefully it may be all
thats required to get some redress for the client.
Otherwise follow the channels that are in place via the PTG.

Thanks for bearing with me here,

regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth