Upright Complete Rebuild Time

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:59:25 +0100

In message <008e01c12e3a$98fa35c0$e9251c18@tampabay.rr.com>, Farrell
<mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes
>Anyone care to venture a total hour time spent with such a project? I
>can figure the parts easy enough, the hours can be a little slippery for
>my limited cranial capacity. Thanks for any interest/input.

The way to do it is just keep the case - you can buy new back and fit it
into the old case we did this back in the 80's but the cases were out of
the ordinary and the profit was small, the only way to make a good
profit was to use cheepo  backs and actions  from Russia but then the
pianos were just Pretty Boxes with Strings.

Time wise quicker than you think, once you have done one,  the trick was
getting the old back out with out damaging the case, a chain saw was the
best way.  Once you had lined your new back to the old key bed, the rest
was just normal action finishing and regulating which took about 4
hours.  The back was the hardest to set up as each piano was different
challenge,  in the end we were going to  made a jig to sit on the key
bed and hang the back on it this would give the correct  height for the
strike and depth form the front of the keys   but we stopped doing them.
We did 4 BTW.

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/