Steinway Rail Dowels

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:05:14 -0400

> Wim,
>     You could epoxy the holes and then put in and then immediately
> take the screw back out just before the epoxy sets. I don't personally
> like that method because I can never seem to time when the epoxy
> sets so the repair is somewhat compromised. Why not simply solder in
> a new rod? It's really not that hard. Try it! You just might surprise
> yourself and in the process add a new skill to your bag of tricks!!
>
> Greg

Greg, if you use CA it doesn't matter.  First spray the screw with a Mold
Release Agent like McLube, put two to four drops of thick CA in the hole
(depending up the size of the screw), thread the screw into the hole and leave
it there until the next day.  Give the screw a strong impact type of removal
movement to break the bond between screw and CA (the Mold Release works well).
The hole is resized and threaded.

I have done this on lots of action screw holes, lid hinge holes, and lots of
other types of holes.  Works wonderfully but you must allow time for the CA to
set and thick sets slow unless you put accelerator on it.

		Newton