Steinway Rail Dowels

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:48:21 -0700

I usually repair stripped holes with West epoxy mixed with microlite.  =
You don't need to fill the entire hole and redrill.  Just swab the =
inside of the hole.  Be sure not to go all the way to the bottom of the =
hole as the build up of epoxy at the bottom might force you to have to =
drill it out.   Spray the screw with McLube (it is after all a mold =
release formula), and turn it into the hole slowly  so the epoxy will =
get into the threads and form new threads when it bonds to the wood.  =
You don't have to put the screw all the way in, just screw it down =
gently.  Let it dry completely and the screw should turn out easily. =20

David Love

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 26, 2001 8:46 AM
  Subject: Re: Steinway Rail Dowels

  Wim,=20
      You could epoxy the holes and then put in and then immediately =
take the screw back out just before the epoxy sets. I don't personally =
like that method because I can never seem to time when the epoxy sets so =
the repair is somewhat compromised. Why not simply solder in a new rod? =
It's really not that hard. Try it! You just might surprise yourself and =
in the process add a new skill to your bag of tricks!!=20
  Greg=20

  Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:=20

    One of the Steinway D's in the concert hall here at Alabama has a =
worn out=20
    wippen rail dowel. None of the screws will tighten snug, and several =
are=20
    completely loose. The completely loose ones I have fixed, but I am =
wondering=20
    what to do with the rest of them holes.=20
    I have never replaced a dowel, and am looking for advice on doing =
so. Any=20
    help will be appreciated.=20

    The other thought I had on the matter was to drill out each screw =
hole and=20
    plug it with hammer shank material. Anyone tried that?=20

    Thanks in advance for the help.=20

    Willem

  --=20
  Greg Newell=20