Steinway Rail Dowels

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:40:40 -0700

Willem,
Using dowel is a good fix, if you drill a right angle to the screw hole. =
That way you are inserting the screw into cross-grain, rather then =
end-grain.
Regards,=20
Joe Garrett
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 7:19 AM
  Subject: Steinway Rail Dowels

  One of the Steinway D's in the concert hall here at Alabama has a worn =
out=20
  wippen rail dowel. None of the screws will tighten snug, and several =
are=20
  completely loose. The completely loose ones I have fixed, but I am =
wondering=20
  what to do with the rest of them holes.=20

  I have never replaced a dowel, and am looking for advice on doing so. =
Any=20
  help will be appreciated.=20

  The other thought I had on the matter was to drill out each screw hole =
and=20
  plug it with hammer shank material. Anyone tried that?=20

  Thanks in advance for the help.=20

  Willem=20