Steinway laminated bridges

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:52:41 0000

Good point.  Then after changing over so that the improvement could be
seen, they probably realized that the only ones seeing it was us technicians,
not the paying customer, so they discontinued it altogether.

Phil
---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:18:28
 Ron Nossaman wrote:
>> I suppose one of us could call Steinway and
>>ask, but that's sort of like reading the instructions to your VCR, it takes
>>all the challenge out of it.
>>
>>Phil
>
>Curiosity is a terrible thing Phil, but the challenge lives on. I checked
>the Steinway patents on their web site this evening, and found yet another
>interesting little bit. Patent # 233,710 granted on October 26, 1880 is for
>a bridge laminated with alternating layers of maple and pine. How's that
>for another "layer" of mystery? They don't seem to supply us the abstract
>though, so I don't know why this was done. Later, I suspect they figured
>they ought to use a contrasting color in the soft(er) wood so it was
>obvious. No sense in wasting time on a selling point no one notices.
>
>Ron N

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!