Steinway Rail Dowels

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 21:43:22 -0600

At 10:19 AM 8/26/01 -0400, Wim wrote:

>One of the Steinway D's in the concert hall here at Alabama has a worn out
>wippen rail dowel. None of the screws will tighten snug, and several are
>completely loose. The completely loose ones I have fixed, but I am wondering
>what to do with the rest of them holes.

Many years ago Joe Bisceglie at Steinway told me just to use a size larger
machine screw. While it's not "original" to the instrument and may not be
an authorized repair despite being vetted by Joe, it's cheap and fast and
usually seems to work if the rail isn't too rotten and you can keep the
parts alignment in good order. There are more expensive and time consuming
options if that doesn't work.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
mailto: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom