David Love/Tight action centers

Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:36:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 27, 2001 11:47 PM
Subject: Re: David Love/Tight action centers

> I will continue to
> use Renner, even though I'm not an advocate of graphite. It works for them
> and I'm not going to dispute one of the best action makers in the world.
> Regards,
> Joe

We also continue to use Renner parts, but I certainly do dispute their use
of graphite on their action felt. While building the upright piano we
spent--wasted--hundreds of hours repining action centers that froze up after
an hour or two of hard use, trying to wash out as much graphite as possible
in the process. We also spent--wasted--hundreds of hours pre-sorting action
components by action center friction levels, repining the excessively loose
ones and treating the excessively tight ones. We're still somewhat paranoid
about Renner center-pinning consistency, although it does seem to now be
somewhat better than it was in the early- to mid- 1990s.

The use of graphite as a so-called 'lubricant' on action cloth was a bad
idea when first conceived and one that has not improved over the years. If
something must be used, why not brush on a bit of Teflon powder? It's much
more effective as a lubricant and it is not hygroscopic. It does not
have--or cause--any known adverse reactions with any known centerpin
material or plating. It does not cause the action centers to freeze up
during and following periods of hard play. In other words, if something must
be used, why not use something that is not known to be detrimental to the
function of the piano? The problems associated with the use of graphite in
this application have been well known for decades.

Regards,

Del