Pianist Karl Ulrich Schnabel Dies

David Skolnik skolnik@attglobal.net
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:36:40 -0400

Bill-
Thanks for posting this to the list.  I haven't seen anything in the NY
Times, as yet.  I worked for him for a number of years, both here in NY and
once at his home on Lake Como in Italy.  He was an extremely genial man and
always able to provide musical insights in his master classes, even if the
student's performance was not the finest.  He was, however, extremely
demanding when it came to pedal regulation, as he used extremely fine
gradations of sustain pedal for coloration.

Regards-

David Skolnik
New York, NY