Del Steinway parts.

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 01:37:27 -0500

Hi Del,
           I have just completed a complete action rebuild on a Steinway D
using all "New Steinway parts",   the results have been beyond my
expectation.  Hammer shanks less than 1gm variance in wt.  All flanges held
horizontal and fell smartly with the addition of the flange screw.  Wippens
all within Igm weight, all jacks centered through the balancier mortice.
Similar results with flange centre's.   Parts regulated well, with nice
after touch and jack clearance. No problems with let off button.  Machining
was clean, ( no splinter in my finger like the last set, 5yrs ago. <G>)
The back action assembly, all nicely travelled.

Overall, less hassles than Renner,  The Teflon parts that was replaced,
touch weight dropped 10gms , so I can remove some of the excess lead.

Hammers have longer tails and were pre filed, and looked clean. Although
not as clean as the German hammers.  About 1 pint of 4:1 juice was needed
to build the tone.  What can I say.

Good clearance in all flange holes for lateral movement, to make alignment
easy.   Very acceptable travel of both wips and hammer shanks.

Definitely a passing grade if this is going to continue.

One piano is hardly a sampling, but it is encouraging

Regards Roger.