Chick Corea (was Karl Ulrich Schnabel)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:44:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/29/01 6:32:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
musselj@cadvision.com (John Musselwhite) writes:

> I've mentioned this before, but around here somewhere I have the rider from
> when I tuned for Chick Corea and Gary Burton (on vibrophone). It was one of
> the most demanding riders I'd seen and not only dealt with the tuning of
> the two instruments together, but included an entire paragraph on how Mr.
> Corea requires his pedals to be adjusted. Fortunately, that's the way I
> keep them on the 1978 D he chose.
>
> I did find out one interesting thing about Chick Corea while we were
> discussing his requirements at the piano. As he was writing down the serial
> number of the D that he picked (the other one being an almost all-original
> 1956 D) he told me that he's recorded the serial numbers of every piano
> he's played in concert and practically every one he's ever played. I
> suspect he also writes down his impressions of each instrument too.

Chick sounds like one artist who would blow his stack if I tuned the EBVT.
Although I consider it to be perfectly compatible with all fixed pitch
instruments such as the Vibraphone, this is one of the artists who sounds
like he knows what a real ET tuning is and will kill if he doesn't get it.

He's come a long way since I saw him in the little dive in Hermosa Beach
California called The Lighthouse back in the late '60's where he took it upon
himself to correct tuning flaws in the piano while on stage.  This is one job
I wouldn't take.  I prefer the smiles and the "Thank you so much" 's to the
hell I might possibly catch if my idea for tuning the piano were
misunderstood.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin