stability of pitch raises

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:43:47 -0400

"If the piano is more than 8 cents off pitch it should be tuned a second =
time that day
to even off the tension. Just think how well the piano will sound a few =
years later..."

I'm trying to understand what you are saying here Jon. Are you saying =
that if the piano is more than 8 cents flat (or sharp) you should first =
do a pitch raise, and then do a separate tuning immediately after (or =
later in the day for some reason?)? Please differentiate between tuning =
and pitch raise and how many passes you might commonly do. If a piano is =
5 cents flat do you commonly only do one pass, raising the pitch 5 cents =
while tuning? Thanks.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 7:09 AM
  Subject: Re: stability of pitch raises

  At 09:56 PM 08/29/2001 -0400, you wrote:

    I do all my pitch raises using RCT, so I end up very close to pitch =
after the=20
    first pass.  If the piano is 50 cents flat or more, I have always =
warned the=20
    client that a pitch-raised tuning is a less stable tuning, and that =
their=20
    piano may need another tuning in 3 or 4 months.   Rarely do they =
actually=20
    call me in 3 months.  Most often I come back in a year...OR TWO, and =
I am=20
    usually surprised at how well the piano has stayed in tune.  Not =
that the=20
    piano doesn't need a tuning, but it's tolerable enough that I can =
understand=20
    why I haven't been called back sooner.  I suppose it's possible that =
the=20
    piano did all its drifting in the first 3 months, and just stayed =
there, but=20
    I'm starting to wonder about the conventional wisdom that a =
pitch-raised=20
    tuning is less stable. =20

    Could it be that the use of the RCT negates the instability issue by =
virtue=20
    of getting the piano so close to pitch after the first pass?

    Any thoughts?

    Tom Sivak=20

  If the piano is more than 8 cents off pitch it should be tuned a =
second time that day
  to even off the tension. Just think how well the piano will sound a =
few years later...

  Regards,
  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.