talcum powder!!!

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:50:41 EDT

Tuned an Acrosonic (circa 1955) today with extremely slow hammer return.
Client asked me to give her an estimate on bringing the instrument back to
good playing condition.  Opened it up to take a look and found white powder
all over the place, mostly on that rail (I don't know what to call it...)
above the capstans that the stickers protrude through.  Smelled it and it
smells like talcum powder to me.  I think this is the cause of the slow
hammer return.  If so,  do you think applying Protek CLP to the hammer butt
flange will do the trick?  (I gave her an estimate on the lube job, but not
for re-pinning...)

Tom Sivak