"Loss of Tone" Complaint

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:39:11 -0700

Terry,

If this loss of tone happened suddenly, I would want to investigate what
Joe Goss mentioned, that maybe the strings are no longer being contacted
by the grooved part of the hammers. Somebody might have stepped on the
shift pedal and then a coin or something fell down between the key frame
and that cloth-covered block thingee. IOW, the action shifted and
couldn't shift back. If the hammers haven't been filed in a long time,
the tone change on shift can be pretty dramatic.

Tom Cole