improving bass tone without replacing strings/hammers?

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

My Ricca has ok tone in the bass, but there are a few
notes that I cannot seem to improve by twisting the
strings.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  The bass
bridge is somewhat cracked in the middle, along
several notes near the monochord/bichord break which
is at F#-10/G11, and extending farther up the bichords
than down the monochords.  Some notes I can't get to
have as full of a tone as surrounding notes are F9,
C4, B3, A1 (A#2 sounds OK but wouldn't hurt to have a
little improvement when playing loud -- sounds ok when
moderate or soft though), G11, G#12, C16, B15 &
C#17(lesser extent than C16), the sharps at the upper
end, but I could probably live with them, and B27, the
highest note on the bass bridge and highest wound
string bichord in the piano -- this one has a replaced
universal string.  Do you guys have any suggestions,
like things to check or things to do?  Do you think
epoxying the crack in the bass bridge might help?