stability of pitch raises

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:07:57 -0600

Hi Ron,

I do have one possible explanation. This summer was particularly humid in
July in Regina. I was measuring between 76 and 80% R.H. I believe that wood
is hydroscopic in nature. Once the moisture is *in* the wood would like to
keep it around. This would lead to high tenors.

And I should have known that you triple read ever email you send!

At 08:49 PM 08/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Don,
>It (they) wasn't (weren't). The low tenors were all significantly sharp
>(not flat) - like I wrote. The humidity at the time was just a little
>higher than it had been a year ago (but not much). I would have thought it
>might just be a weird isolated case, but I've been finding this kind of
>thing for the last couple of weeks in all sorts of different places. With
>no way of knowing what the pianos have been through by way of humidity
>changes since I last tuned them a year ago, I can't begin to account for
>what I'm seeing. I'm not all that sure I could make sense of it if I did
>know the day to day history, but I found what I found even if I can't
>account for it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
>
>Ron N

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/