Getting OT - swedge

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 16:24:09 +0000

At 8:30 AM -0500 12/1/01, Newton Hunt wrote:

>Swage, noun, a tool to shape metal

It is also a verb and incidentally current in the string-making
trade.  The flattening of the core wire is called swaging by some
people.  For that operation (which is indeed swaging) I use the term
flattening in order to distinguish it from the 'swaging' of the
copper windings.  You will find swaged ends on all Hamburg Steinways,
on Bechsteins, Erards etc.  The swaging gives a nice shiny pointed
end to the copper winding.  Erard and Pleyel made a very long sharp
point whereas other makers  give an angle of about 60°.  I swage the
ends with pliers having a funnel shaped hole that partly files partly
squeezes the copper to shape.  I have about six pairs to deal with
all sizes of steel and copper.

In general to swage is to reduce the size of a piece of metal by some
sort of compressing action such as hammering or pressing or squeezing.

JD