Bass strings changing scale

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:40:31 +0000

At 1:16 PM -0600 12/1/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>  >There will always be one large step in the tension curve where
>>singles pass to bichords.  Wolfenden recommended what I regard as too
>>small a jump,  Ron Nossaman et al talk of what I regard as an
>>unnecessarily large jump, but it will depend on a number of factors.
>
>Among them, whether you are talking about individual string tension, or
>unison tension. I blend unison tension, inharmonicity, and impedance across
>the transition to what I consider a quite pleasing result.

I ought to have added that Lipp and Brinsmead, two of my greatest
makers, probably tend to your way of thinking with tensions over 310
lbf. in the top single and a big fall to the bichords, but even on
these I tend to lighten the bass scale somewhat and get more life in
the bass.  Curiously, though the two firms are quite unrelated and
their pianos of very different design, both have a certain magic and
extraordinary resonance in the soundboard that is very rare.  Both
have a good crown on the board and both finish the boards to a
wonderfully deep lustre.  The general character of both is very
powerful and rich, but I find the bass slightly plummy and lacking
the brilliance of the piano as a whole.  I think there was a fashion
for a long time for the warm round plummy bass typified by the
Blüthner and I guess the makers were responding to this taste while
all the while wishing people would love a lighter brighter bass with
better attack.  It's very much a question of the age and the place.
Much has been made over the years of the difference between the
European sound and the American sound, but it seems to me these have
reversed position maybe several times in the course of a century.
What the current difference is I have no idea and I imagine recorded
music has narrowed the gap for ever, but we're none of us quite
immune to the Zeitgeist.

Can you explain, preferably with some numbers, what you mean by
"impedance across
the transition", how you measure it.

JD