Steinway strike line

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 17:12:16 EST

           John

    I beleive that has been a standard S,S, model B plate has been changed
for at least five years or longer. If I talk to Scott I'll ask him,
       By the way when making a quick check of this just play chromatically
from f octave 5 thru f octave 6 & listen to the quality of the tone, then do
the same with the action shifted making sure it clears or is clearing the
left hand string. If it is dramatically nasal and weak slide the whole action
in and out.I.E. equal amounts bass and treble appox. i/8" or so and recheck.
        It is possible that the hammers have been so over hardened/or shaped
to death to compensate tonally for the poor placement that after moving them
they will sound a bit choked and voicing will now be more affective. Often
rinsing the whole hammer with acetone can wash the lacer out or farther down
in the hammer and restore the tone.

           Dale Erwin