Prepping the Piano for the Tuner - slightly OT

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:14:55 -0600

>...The one that gets me is the upright piano that opens like a grand and the
>hinge pin is a foot long and can only be removed from the back of the piano
>requiring one to pull the piano out from the wall to remove the pin...
>Joe Goss

Joe, List,

Maybe you already know this, but removing the hinge pin isn't necessary at
all.  Just use a prop stick of some type.

I used to use a thin diameter curtain rod between the lid and the treble
tuning pins.  Now, I use the Stringer tool with rubber bumpers on the ends
instead.

I know another person who just uses the soft pedal dowell rod to prop the lid.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731