Tighting Mason resonator

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:11:43 EST

    List

       I know ,I know were not supposed to tighten the bloomin centripital
resonator device on Mason & Hamlins but ya know this one was loose and
causing a real nasty buzz.
         I'm just finishing up the belly on a Mason A and it was alittle
disconcerting to hear this coming from about the c-5 area. It did make me a
little nervous especially after all that work to hear such a racket. I put
the piano up on its side hoping to dislodge some remnant of construction but
NOOOO.
   While tapping on the board with my fist I hit the spider and it was really
loose and vibrating.The loosest was the one going straight back to the end of
the tail. I ended up tighting three of the rearward struts till I could just
hear the case slighty creak / groan, you know snug.
     Maybe it was my imagination but the sustain which was already good got
better where it counts. I guess it does makes sense considering the case
impedance was no doubt  enhanced.

       I'll be checking them in the future

    Dale Erwin