Bass strings changing scale

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 15:06:45 -0600

>Forgive me for being sceptical, Ron, but this is sounding more and
>more like a black art.  First it is the Conklin formula, take it or
>leave it, and then it is something similar which gives an
>approximation -- in theory and is far from perfect but better than
>nothing.

No, it was never the Conklin anything - take it or leave it. As far as I am
aware, there are no absolutes in scaling. When did I say anything that
would give you that idea? David Roberts in "The Calculating Technician"
gives what he calls a loudness/sustaining factor, and James Hays gives us
what he calls an acoustical power formula in John Travis' "Guide to
Restringing". I expect there are also a few others around that I haven't seen.

>I've been using nothing and a bit of common sense for many years and
>the results sound a hell of a lot more reliable!
>
>I hope you'll answer the questions in my last message and let me see
>how this theory turns out in a real bass scale so that I can moderate
>my lack of enthusiasm.  Then perhaps we can discover how Conklin
>arrived at this imperfect mantra.
>
>log JD sin delta ^ 0.2g

I'm still considering it John, but since I don't seem to possess any
information you consider useful or interesting, much less valid, I'm
seriously wondering why I would want to waste the time. You can incorporate
this mystical formula in your own scaling spreadsheet and validate it's
obvious uselessness for yourself quite quickly and easily without my help.

Ron N