Sound in soundboards

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 00:26:41 +0000

At 11:04 AM -0800 12/3/01, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>Sound does not travel in the soundboard assembly. Sound is created as the
>soundboard panel vibrates in response to the energy input from the strings
>and compresses and rarefies the air around it. Wave energy from the strings
>moves the bridge which in turn moves the soundboard. The resultant wave
>energy travels primarily along the soundboard surface until it reaches some
>boundary. There it is either absorbed or reflected back into the soundboard
>panel. The difference is, perhaps, a subtle one but it is important to
>understanding the function of the soundboard.

OK.  Question 1: "Wave energy moves the bridge".  Under the bridge,
say the bass bridge, I arrange a massive trestle with thick metal
blocks pressing up against the underside of the bridge line, and on
top of the bridge I place a long lead weight as heavy as I can lift.
And if this isn't enough I borrow hydraulic equipment to make sure
that bridge really can't move.  I haven't tried it, but you suggest
the effect will be to kill the bass of the piano as though the
soundboard and bridge were not there, since the loudspeaker effect of
the soundboard depends on the solenoid effect of the bridge.

2.  "Wave energy moves the bridge".  What is wave energy and does it
travel primarily along the bridge surface as you say it moves
primarily along the soundboard surface?  If it moves "along the
surface" does it travel in the varnish or in the air touching the
varnish or in the wood just under the varnish but no deeper, and how
does it travel?  So far as I know sound travels always as a
compression wave through whatever medium, but you are suggesting
something different.

3. "travels primarily along the soundboard surface.....reflected back
into the soundboard panel."  So the sound, I understand, begins its
journey moving _along_ the surface as far as the boundary and then
gets reflected _into_ the soundboard. How does it travel then?

What I suggest is that the sound does indeed travel _in_ and through
the beech and the spruce because otherwise it could not travel at all
except in air.  I suggest also that the speed at which these
materials are able to carry the compression wave is elemental to
their choice for this purpose.  As to exactly where in relation to
the surface(s) of the board it travels, I'd suggest it travels
wherever the medium exists to carry it and that it travels most
effectively in the hard and long-fibred winter growth.

JD