A Business Question

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:11:23 EST

My bank has been grumbling about the number of checks I deposit, suggesting I
might need to open a business checking account.  Since personal accounts are
free, and since I do business under my own name, I'm not eager to do this.  I
would have to register as a business with the county first.  (I did actually
a register as a small business with the county when I started out, but I no
longer use that company name.)  For years, as a pianist I collected checks
from various parties and it never occurred to me to register as a business.
I play the piano, they pay me.  Now I tuned the piano, they pay me.  Why
bother registering as a small business?  They write a check to me, and I
deposit it in my checking account.

Where I live you must register a business with the county to get a listing in
the Yellow Pages.  My registration under the previous company name qualifies
me even though I am now listed just by my name.  I'm not really interested in
going through the expense and hassle of registering as a business again.

If I may ask, how many of you have registered as a small business?  Is there
any advantage or disadvantage to being a small business versus an individual?
 Are taxes handled the same way?

BTW, with tax season coming up, can any of you in the Chicago area recommend
a good tax guy who is familiar with tuner's deductions, expenses, etc.?

Thanks for any advice,
Tom Sivak