A Business Question

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:36:16 EST

In a message dated 12/4/01 1:19:16 PM Central Standard Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
writes:

> Since personal accounts are
> free, and since I do business under my own name, I'm not eager to do this.
> would have to register as a business with the county first.  (I did
> actually
> a register as a small business with the county when I started out, but I no
> longer use that company name.)  For years, as a pianist I collected checks
> from various parties and it never occurred to me to register as a business.
>
> I play the piano, they pay me.  Now I tuned the piano, they pay me.  Why
> bother registering as a small business?  They write a check to me, and I
> deposit it in my checking account.
>
> Where I live you must register a business with the county to get a listing
> in
> the Yellow Pages.  My registration under the previous company name
> qualifies
> me even though I am now listed just by my name.  I'm not really interested
> in
> going through the expense and hassle of registering as a business again.
>
> If I may ask, how many of you have registered as a small business?  Is
> there
> any advantage or disadvantage to being a small business versus an
> individual?
> Are taxes handled the same way?

Tom

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, you are asking if you can cheat. Yes, you can
probably find a bank that won't complain about the number of checks you
deposit. You can probably get away with not getting a license. But if you
ever get caught, it might cost you more in penalties than the license ever
cost you.

As you said, you are in business. Being in business requires certain
expenses, including a business checking account, and a license from the
government, (what ever level). It's a good think you don't live in a state
like Texas, where you have to collect sales tax on services.

Do the right thing and get a business checking account, and go to the county
office and get a business license. Then get a business phone, and make the
extra money it takes to be in business.

Wim