tone?wood quality

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:34:33 +0100

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> AH! As per my sermons from the old testament of pianotech. Another
> hanger-on-but-we've-forgotten-why-we-do-it bit of piano technology. A
> brief survey of historical soundbaords quickly reveals the folly of the
> concept of tonewood. Only the violin makers really cared about the smoke
> and mirrors stuff. I made a perfectly serviceable soundboard out of orange
> crates. As you say Del, it's all in them ribs. That's where the art of
> soundboard design lies.
>
> Stephen

I would just love to see and hear this piano. Orange crates ! Why dont you guys
put these kind of things on display. Being right works a billion percent better
when such examples are right in everyones face... undeniable as it were.

Thats one thing I love about Americans... willing to try out just about
anything... has its down side for sure but hey....all kinds of neat things come
out of that attidude as well.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.