Not enough dampers

Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:42:13 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: December 05, 2001 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: Not enough dampers

> Just more dampers.  The most I have come across are 73 on a Steinway
> Vertgrand but my own 1905 Lipp upright has 72.  I've just taken in
> another Lipp of 1912, identical in structure but with a Fritz & Mayer
> action instead of a Keller.  This has only 68, and  that even number
> is found on only a few good makes, the norm on most commercial pianos
> being 65 in Europe through most of the century.

Our upright had--and needed--72. It is my impression, though I haven't
counted them all, that 67 has been the defacto standard in the U.S. At least
for verticals. Sadly, many of them don't need that many.

I do recall going out to take care of a service problem on a Wurlitzer--the
owner was complaining about a factory defect--some action parts were
missing: All those damper up toward the top had been left off. It was
obvious they should be there since the holes had been drilled for them.
Wurlitzer had just introduced semi-automated drilling for its action rails
and it was easier for them to simply continue drilling holes for damper
lever flanges even though they weren't needed.

Del